Monday, July 22, 2013

The Story of Us-Part II

Sorry for the long pause. Last week  was insane. But, starting off Monday morning right--with a blog post. And I got an e-mail for a partial from a digital publisher-YAY! :)

So, where was I? Oh, right. Jacob and I were just about to move in together. This means it is January, 2005. We'd gone and looked at a few trailors. Yes, in the south college kids rent trailors, as well as live in apartments. We'd decided we didn't want to deal with people making noise right beside us or above us or on the floor beneath ours, so a trailor would be best for us. Not many places were renting right then, I recall. It would have been a lot easier had it been August, just before a new semester started.

We settled with a three bedroom two bath in a park named Windover Farms. It was a bit out into the more rural area of Auburn, and it was quiet. I was so excited. I'd never really been out on my own. I'd lived in Texas for those few months, of course, but it hadn't been on my own--I'd bunked with a family. I'd also moved in with a very good friend of mine from high school when I was 19, but that lasted all of two months. We didn't mesh well as roommates, and it was right on the cusp of my rough period, though it was in no part responsible for it.

Anyway. The day we moved in several of Jacob's friends helped us with our stuff. We didn't have a ton. I remember, though, pulling away from my parents' house, and seeing my Dad standing on the porch. My Mom was at work. And I was very sad. Because I knew this wouldn't be like the first two times I moved out. I knew in my heart that Jacob was it for me, and I would never go home again. I was excited, but it was a tad bittersweet because I'd grown up in that house, and it was just me and my parents, and I knew I was leaving a gaping hole for them by leaving. But, people grown up. Kids move out and start their lives. It's the natural process.

The first night in our trailor, I think, was the national championship football game. We didn't have a big TV yet, just this tiny one I'd brought from my bedroom, and it was sitting on the floor because we had nowhere else to put it. Jacob's friends were all watching the game together, and while he never would have left me there on his own accord, I knew he wanted to go. So I told him to. He looked at me, his eyes wide and his mouth agape, and said, "you're telling me to leave you here by yourself on our first night together?"

I was. It was something he wanted to do, and I didn't want us to turn into this, just because we're in a serious relationship and live together, we never do anything apart type of couple. So I said sure, I'll be fine. It's not like you won't come home. Jacob looked at me different then. I'll never forget how tight he hugged me, and the tone of his voice when he told me he loved me. I think I'd proved to him we made the right decision. So, he went off to watch his game, and I ordered take out and sat in the floor and watched TV.

Looking around, our things sitting in boxes and my bedroom suite from home not place in "our" bedroom, I was reassured, and happy, and completely in love with my situation.

The next year and a half were happy and fun. We went grocery shopping together, always. We hung out with our friends, we got a two puppies, Ace and Dolly, who made our little family complete for the moment. Of course we fought. Everyone does. I guarantee there is no couple out there who hasn't had an argument or two. But when you love each other, no matter how mad you are, you get through it. When you love each other, you find a way. Jacob and I never have been very good at being angry, anyway. One of us usually says we're sorry pretty quickly. I think compromise is one of our strongest qualities as a couple.

Then, things went to the next leve. On May 6, 2006, Jacob proposed.

To be continued!

Ryann

No comments:

Post a Comment