Saturday, July 13, 2013

Rainy Day Blues

Rainy days, people. We've had about a hundred of them here lately. Okay, not really, but that sure is what it feels like. I think we've seriously doubled or maybe even almost tripled our normal average rainfall for the month in my area, and it's only the middle of the month!

So this has got me thinking--when you're stuck inside on a rainy day, what do you do? For our family, we watch a lot of TV/movies. I'm addicted to the tube, I'm not afraid to admit it. During the year, I have a show I watch nearly every night of the week, often more than one. I've always been sort of a homebody, or a hermit I guess you can say. And I love to veg out in front of the TV and let my mind rest after a long day. Especially after my kids go to sleep. I just need to decompress!

So anyway, since it's summer during this monsoon we've been having in Alabama, I don't really have a DVR stocked full of goodies like I normally would, and I've been turning to my DVD collection. It's pretty depleted right now, because probably 75% of our movies are packed up at my parents' house. Yeah, don't ask.

And that, my friends, brings me to the purpose of this rambling blog post. I thought I'd share some of my favorites, TV shows and movies. I suppose the top 5 would do. Because probably nobody cares, but I wanted to blog and I'd like the audience I do have to know more about me. I'd love to know more about anybody else that cares to share, too :)

And awayyyyy we go!

Top 5 TV shows:

1) Charmed. Definitely. I have a serious love for Holly Marie Combs, and I'm a big fan of Alyssa Milano and Shannen Doherty as well. I wasn't too happy when Rose McGowan joined the show in season 4, and I actually stopped watching for a while, but I warmed up to her. There is just something about this show that intrigues me. I love their sisterly relationship, I love their romantic relationships, and the element of fantasy and magic completely draws me in.

2) I Love Lucy. Who doesn't love Lucy? All four characters on this show are simply amazing, but of course, Lucy and Ricky are my favorites. Even my kids like to watch it! I keep this show on my DVR constantly. I have 4 episodes on it right now. Because if I'm ever in a bad mood, or sad, or just need a tiny pick me up, I can turn on Lucy and all is right in the world. She is the miracle cure for a lousy day.

3) Dawson's Creek. This show defined my teenage years. Dawson, Joey, Pacey, and Jen were in my house every week, teaching me about growing up, friendship, and love. Sure, they led pretty different lives in Capeside, Mass, than I did in the heart of the south, but it still translated well and I was obsessed. My friends and I would meet up Wednesday nights and watch the show together. It was tradition. They graduated high school on TV the night before I graduated high school. It was a show that I will always look upon with love.

4) F.R.I.E.N.D.S. I am so Monica. OCD and grumpy when I don't get my way. I have/had friends who were pretty classic Rachel and Pheobe personalities, too. And I had the biggest crushes on Ross, Joey, and Chandler at different points in my life. I don't know anybody who doesn't laugh when they watch this show. Again, it taught me so many lessons, and it's classic in the way that it feels like I'm watching something new everytime I catch a re-run.

5) Dancing with the Stars. The only reality show that I'm putting on the list. I love the glitz, the glamour, the beautiful people, the music. I love everything. It takes you to a place where the world is just a fun, cheesy dancing show, and it gives me two hours on Monday nights when I don't have to think about anything. I can just watch people dance and smile.

That was hard! There are so many shows that I love as well, but those take the cake with me. Onto Movies!

1) 13 Going on 30. Jennifer Garner. An amazing, wonderful actress who I respect and would watch in pretty much anything. This movie makes me happy. I love her character and Mark Ruffalo is sort of dreamy. It's fantastical in that it shows you how you can grow so quickly, and I love how it depicts friendships from childhood to adult. I still have friends from my childhood, whom I couldn't imagine my life without.

2) Pearl Harbor. Ben Affleck and Josh Hartnett. Need I say more? No, really though. I love history--I think I've mentioned that before. I think this movie was so well done and I love how they made it into a love story, too. I love seeing depictions of how people from different eras lived and interacted. It might not be that true to the relationships of the 40s, but I still love it.

3) Gone with the Wind. The only reason this is number 3 and not number 1 or 2 is the length. Scarlett O' Hara and Rhett Butler are two of the most incredible characters of all time, and I could watch it over and over and over. Again, this movie takes me to a different era. One that I would never truly want to live in, but I love being transported places. It's why I love reading and writing so much.

4) Steel Magnolias. Julia, Sally, Darryl, oh my. Love love and love. This movie is a classic, with strong women who stick together no matter what.

5) Sweet Home Alabama. Do you really need to ask? And I love Reese Witherspoon. Anything she's in is pretty much going to be watched many times.

Okay, another hard list! It will probably change through the years. But right now, this is me!

No comments:

Post a Comment